TL;DR: It’s like the most epic sneeze ever from your vagina.
1. Having a baby sounds like the best thing on Earth, right? Many of us dream about the glorious day we will welcome a new life into this world.
2. But something quite strange happens right before you go into labor: You lose something called your mucus plug.
3. Your mucus plug is a collection of cervical mucus, and when it falls out, it means your cervix has officially started “ripening” for the big day.
It’s actually made out of a mixture of blood and mucus, and it “blocks the opening of the cervix to prevent bacteria from entering the uterus.” When it’s time to get ready for labor, your mucus plug is expelled from your body.
4. Because it can get a little bloody from VEINS RIPPING IN YOUR CERVIX, losing your mucus plug is sometimes called the “Bloody Show.”
The plug “is often blood-tinged or streaked with old, brownish blood when it comes [out].”
5. Mucus plugs vary in size. Many women don’t even notice when they lose it, while others seem to look like this banana slug:
6. Don’t worry, though: Pregnancy is a loooooong nine months, and by the time your mucus plug emerges, you’re more than ready for it.
You also get a super cute baby that YOU MADE.
Incoming search terms:
- pictures of cervical mucus plug